Thursday, August 29, 2013

Floor Salmon and Mom's Ratatouille


Having a great story behind a recipe makes a difference for me. When I cook it reminds me of my family and great times we've shared. These recipes remind me of my grandparents, which always makes me smile.

Floor Salmon

This recipe comes from my amazing grandparents! My grandparents are the real reason that my family loves food as much as we do. They are two of the most amazing Cajun chefs around today. Their passion in the kitchen is what inspired my mother and her sisters. Who in turned shared their passion with my generation.

To set the scene for this story, my grandparents have a beautiful home on the bayou in Southern Louisiana. Much like my husband and myself, my grandfather mans the grill and my grandmother rules the kitchen. The first time my grandparents made this recipe, my grandfather accidently dropped the salmon on the floor on his way to the grill, rather than call it a day it was rinsed off, re-seasoned and cooked. It turned out to be one of the best salmon recipes he ever made! It is so yummy that it has been made many times since, excluding the trip to the floor of course, but the name has stuck with it!

To make floor salmon, start with a nice raw salmon filet, whatever size you need for the number you are cooking for. Mine was just over three quarters of a pound and I planned it to be lunch for two days. For a dinner portion, you might want a half pound serving per person. The first step is to soak the salmon in milk for at least a couple hours. On a scientific level, I have no idea what this does to the salmon, but it is worth trying! I rinsed the salmon off and seasoned with salt and pepper. That's it!

Now, my grandfather put this on the grill, skin side down. I chose to roast this in the oven at 375F. Keep an eye on it not to overcook it, you don't want it dry. It felt a little undercooked to the touch when I pulled it out, but as it cooled it was perfect, so don't be afraid.

This is the yummiest salmon I've ever made. It tastes so buttery and rich and not at all fishy. I don't know how soaking it in the milk makes it so decadent, but it works!  This salmon is also really yummy leftover on a salad!







Mom’s Ratatouille
Solomon named this recipe for me.  I love Disney movies, and have raised my boys with them.  When Ratatouille came out, it became an instant hit in our house.  My boys began experimenting with different flavors and really got excited about the kitchen.  The best part about ratatouille, the dish, is that it is all veggies, it is fresh, and tastes AMAZING.  Until this movie, my boys were very hesitant to give this dish a try, thanks to Disney it has become a favorite of theirs.

For this recipe, I decided to shake things up a bit.  Traditionally Ratatouille is a veggie stew.  I was in an oven roasting mood yesterday, so I decided to give it a go.  I love the flavor that roasting veggies in the oven have.  They become more intense and a little caramelized.  I used an eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, peppers, tomatoes and red onions.  Using my mandolin (cooking utensil, not the musical instrument), I evenly sliced my veggies.  If you don’t’ have one, a knife works as well, just be careful about the evenness of your slices.  The more uniform the cut, the more evenly they cook.  If you use a mandolin, be very careful with your fingers.  At this point mine is off limits to the kids.
I seasoned the veggies with salt and pepper and lightly drizzled them with grape seed oil.  Then I roasted them at 375, until they looked good.  If you like them crunchy, leave them in for less time, if you want them softer leave them in longer.  I tried them a few times, until they were the consistency I was going for.  When I pulled them out I sprinkled a little red wine vinegar on them.  I highly advise not skipping the vinegar, maybe a tablespoon for the entire dish!

The first time I made Ratatouille for the boys, we watched the movie as we ate it, and they had no idea what veggies they were eating because they were caught up in the excitement of eating the food the movie was named after.  Now they love these veggies regardless!  Best part of all is a cup of Ratatouille is only 40 calories!  I serve it with pasta or rice to help my boys with hallow legs fill up, but I find I don’t need it!  A bowl of this and I am good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment